Its Monday (blah!), its chilly (blah!), and the Steeler play tonight (yay!)....today is the perfect day for an easy meal right from my freezer! A few weeks ago my huband and I made 8 batches of spicy stuffed banana peppers- that's about 60 peppers! Of course, this recipe can be made as small or as large as you prefer, I'll provide you with the ingredients I use for 2 meals worth.
-14-16 medium banana peppers
-1.5-2 lbs bulk spicy italian sausage (if the links are on sale, just remove the casings!)
-1 8oz brick provolone cheese (or 2 cups of pre-shredded)
-Your favorite pasta sauce
That's it! Just 4 ingredients! I know a lot of people who put all kinds of stuff in their peppers, but I like mine simple and HOT! If you don't like things as hot, you can substitute sweet italian sausage.
1. Cut the tops off of your banana peppers, de-seed and de-vein, and wash
2. Place sausage in a mixing bowl, grate about half of your brick on top, and mix
3. Go to town stuffing! I use my hands, its easiest, but I don't like gloves- so DON'T touch your face if you're not going to use gloves. And if you never handled hot peppers before, please wear gloves so you don't have an allergic reaction!
4. Place 7-8 of the peppers in a gallon freezer bag and pop into the freezer
Now for the batch that you will cook right away:
5. Place a little bit of sauce in the bottom of your crockpot and set the peppers on top. Cover with the remaining sauce.
6. Cook on low for 5 hours
7. Slice remaining cheese and cook on high until cheese is melted
Easy Peasy!!! Enjoy =)
**Pin this recipe to Pinterest so you can save it for later!**